Sandman TP Vol 01 Preludes & Nocturnes (Sandman Collected Library)

The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes (The Sandman, #1) - Neil Gaiman, Malcolm Jones III, Sam Kieth, Mike Dringenberg "Preludes and Nocturnes" consisted of several volumes of The Sandman, one of Neil Gaiman's earlier works about Morpheus or Dream who have been released after 70 years of imprisonment only to found out that in his absence his world was heavily eroded and that he had lost his objects of power. The volume consist of the compilation of Dream's journey to find his lost items and included was the stories of the characters that was indirectly affected by Dream's powers.As it was in the fashion of the late 80s where graphic novels was still in the form of classic comic book style, Sandman is a psychedelic ride inside the mind of Gaiman. However, I was overwhelmed by the art and the writing that made Sandman a confusing read that borders on schizophrenia.Filled with dark characters with various kinds of depravities, whatever Sandman may lack, it was a certainty that it was a Gaiman's masterpiece. However, one of my gruff about the artwork was that except for the volume's cover, it wasn't done by Dave McKean. I am more of a fan of McKean-Gaiman collaborations as I think McKean does great interpretation Gaiman's work than Sandman's illustrators. But one of the things that bugs me was when I see Dream, I don't really see him as a character. I see him as Neil Gaiman (its the hair).