Freaks of the Heartland - Steve Niles, Greg Ruth For 2012 references, the book was the love-child of Frankenstein's monster meet Winter's Bone. That what I've been thinking the whole time I was reading this book. Its the story of a young boy named Trevor with a deformed six years old younger brother, Will. Their father, a misogynistic bastard and abuser who like to degrade everyone, wanted to kill the younger brother for being different. A couple of pages later it was revealed that Will have telepathy in which he sensed the death of someone who was like him. Their father newly resolved with the abomination in the family, decided to end his son's life until Trevor try to prevent his father with a bullet which missed. Before his father would hit his older brother, Will unveiled a superhuman ability of flamethrowing from his throat. Leaving his father fried crispy in the barn and their mother letting them go. They went to find more caged creatures like Will and behind them was a group of rednecks with guns and a thirst to kill all of the deformed children.The graphic is gloomy and the watercolour and the details and shades were magnificent. I find myself hard to appreciate most western graphic novels because of the overused filling computer colouring but each of the pages from this book were bringing live to the screen. The intensity of the shades heightened the overwhelming depression, mania and hope that are prevalent in some graphic novels like The Walking Dead but in this stand alone book, I kept coming up various of scenes and themes that was bleeding through the graphics silently. The fear of the unknown, the sense of freedom, the inquisitiveness and redemption of several of the characters. The tears.The artistic work on this book is plain overwhelming. The content carry a lot of depth in it and make me wish for more.