The Boy in the Suitcase - Lene Kaaberbol;Agnete Friis The label of #1 Scandinavian Thriller doesn’t lie. If Sweden have Man Som Hattar Kvinoor (The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo), Denmark have Drengen i kufferten (The Boy in the Suitcase). The story started with a woman towing a suitcase down to her car. Before she put the heavy suitcase in her bonnet, she open it and found a boy - barely alive - curled in it.Then there was the quite mysterious monologues of a rich man called JAN who had some problem with his idea of a perfect house to his inate need to please his beautiful wife and his confusion with his wife's 'needs'. A mysterious picture of a boy and a mysterious phone call later, he toss his phone at the side of the cliff and then went to get it later to get himself a mysterious ticket to Zurich. While in the plane, the airline had a long setback from technical difficulties that made Jan anxious as the time drags from minutes to hours of delays. He contacted his secretary, KARIN, to bank-in a six-figure sum of money to a bank in Zurich.Another character was JUČAS who wanted a family with his girlfriend, Barbara who was older than him and proceed 'making babies 'in a voyeuristic way at the side of a lake.And another character named SIGITA who is a single mother of a toddler, Mikas. While playing in a empty playground, she caught a russian woman secretly giving her child's chocolate. When questioned, she found out that the woman have been giving her child chocolates before and told her off before she let her boy play in the sandbox. That was the last memory she had before she regained her consciousness in a hospital bet with a high alcohol level in her blood, broken arm and a concussion.... with her child missing.And then we have NINA, a nurse who was helplessly watching a mean bastard luring his Ukranian fiance, who exhibited signs of sexual abuse, out from the clinic using a six year old child as hostage in his car. With Natasha's unwillingness to report his action against her fiance (and risked getting herself deported out of the country), Nina's hand were all tied up. A friend of her, KARIN, call her to meet up in a cafetaria.Okay, for a couple of pages from the beginning of the story, thats a whole lot of characters to take note to. Reading this, is like reading a tv series script. Loads of fade in and out and "show a tiny bit but never tell until the later part of the story like treats" thing. Come to think of it "The Killing" was based from a Danish's tv, so I'm really hoping they could consider making this book into adaptations so that Lene Kaaberbol would be famous enough that people notice her AND GET HER TO TRANSLATE THE THIRD SILVERHORSE BOOK!!! But the book was written in a way you expect from watching a movie, which can try your patience in some ways. I'm not kidding about making her famous thing, since this series was already in the third book but only this singular translated book of the series. Lene is one busy girl who want to write and translate her novels by herself. But why cant you just hire someone and then reedit everything? The writing is just too realistic. Thats why I like Lene Kaaberbol when she wrote YA fantasy. The mystery itself is too emotionally nerve wrecking. The blood and the body fluids just what I expect from LK. I never include quotes in my review but come on.....A few beatings, a gang rape or two, and a note bearing the address of her family in some Estonian village—that was usually enough to break even the most obstinate spirit. And the real beauty of it all for the cynical exploiters was that ordinary people didn’t care. Not really..... pages later...Marija frowned, and Nina guessed that she was searching for the right words, comforting and unthreatening enough that she wouldn’t upset the boy too much. A stab of outrage at Marija’s own capsized life went straight through Nina’s chest. She felt such rage at the thought of the Danish, Dutch, and German men who felt it was their perfect right to serially screw a young girl month after month until not the least remnant of the girly sweetness and the coltish awkwardness would remain. What do such men tell each other? That it is quite okay because it is her own choice? That they are offering her a way to make a little money and start a new life? How very grand of them.thats not preachy, thats plain truth. Kinda like "flickan som lekte med elden" (TGWPWF).What Sigita had to go through while the person who betrayed her 'scolded' her for searching for her lost son“You feel so put-upon, don’t you?” she said. “Poor little Sigita who has had such a hard life. But did you ever pause to think what it’s been like for your mother? You taking off like that, not even leaving a note? She lost a daughter. Did you ever think about that?”The authors were straight as it is with the treatment of women and girls in this book. If you need a gentle read reminiscent of Nancy Drew, this book is not for you. This book tackles child kidnapping, human trafficking, prostitution, manhandling, woman abuse, child abuse - that the writings itself was too real for some people. *I read this during the time when it was confirmed that the unidentified body that was found burned in an abandoned building in Johore was the missing girl, Dirang, and just earlier the little boy who slipped into the lake in Titiwangsa Park and drowned. I actually saw the body floating face down in the lake from the tv and remember acutely where the boy in which part of the lake since I lived near Titiwangsa Park during my university days. To read this book with the details of horrified mother who found her boy missing really struck me to the bone. I hugged my 2 year old nephew and prayed my thanks to God and send my prayers to the mothers who lost their children. Dirang's kidnapping and murder was premeditated. There was a case of neglect of course but it was disheartening to found out your child in one moment of pure happiness and then suddenly they were snatched away in matter of seconds. This book will bring those fear alive.*The book that made me read from 2am to 4am.