A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess First of all, the Nadsat is so overwhelming. Imagine reading LOTR with characters talking broken Elvish all the time. Ctrl-Replace was a godsend since I don't really understand Russian and reading the book is like reading full Singlish book and the time I studied Shakespearean plays for an elective.I watched the movie first before I read the book and truth to be told, they were a best accompaniment since Malcom McDowell is the perfect Alex for this book and the movie does remain 80% faithful to the writings so its somewhat an visual-audiobook to the writing. Plus, it does help when you hear Beethoven all the time in the movie.As a first person book, I had expected it to be like the current annoying archetypical young adult style. Frankly its not, Alex is quite a very interesting and hard to dislike point of view that pulled you into the story. He is reckless, charming and most of the time, mean and very disturbing. He likes the fun of the violence he had, he loves women and girls especially when they said no (I guess this is the part when I say he's a manipulative psychopath with sadomasochist streak), he is extremely charismatic, adores music and think everyone is lesser than he is. He disrespect his parents and see everyone dull, weak and idiotic. He is intelligent but can be extremely naive; when his droogs turn their backs on him and his parents selling his stuff and pet. He loved the attention he had and wanted to pull in the readers as he told his story. This entertainment quality that he had made the book easy to follow despite the slang it use that a decade later would make this book timeless since crime is still a problem in our society and the book brings out the reality in our time.But for a drug to chemically adhere a person behaviour are not an actual novel idea.